6 SOLAR SECRETS Most People Don’t Know
Solar power is quickly becoming one of the most popular alternatives to traditional energy. You see it everywhere – but what do you really know about it? We thought we’d empower you with a few lesser-known facts about solar.
- Solar protects your roof and cools your attic: It’s true! Solar panels provide shade and protect the roof surface from harmful elements. And because they absorb the sun’s heat and energy, they can also cool the roof temperature by about 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Your roof and attic will already be cooler before you even flip the switch. One of the most common concerns that solar customers share relates to potential roof damage. Believe it or not, every rooftop is not solar-friendly. Your professional installer is licensed and should do a careful survey of the entire surface, materials, slope, and underlayment to determine the health of your roof. In some instances, repairs may be needed before the roof is solar-ready. But, for rooftops in good condition, a solar installation can provide additional protection.
- Solar production peaks in the spring: Solar power comes from the sun’s light, not its heat. Many believe that to reach optimal solar production, they must live in a hot climate. Surprisingly, this is not true! PV panels reach maximum production efficiency at 77 degrees Fahrenheit and slow down as the temperature rises. That means that although spring or winter days are shorter in comparison, they make up in terms of production due to the cooler weather. Does this mean that you shouldn’t go solar if you live in a hot climate? No. The length of sunlight on a long sunny day makes up for the extreme heat. Choosing a premium panel brand also helps by providing the highest production output.
- Federal Government incentives you to go solar: True…but not always. The federal government is currently offering a 26% tax credit (not a tax rebate) for homeowners who purchase and install their solar system before the end of 2020. The tax credit will decrease to 22% in 2021 and will disappear altogether in 2022. If your tax credit is more than you owe in taxes this year, it will roll over into the next as long as this credit is still in effect. Delaying a solar installation puts at risk the full benefits of going solar today. Several states also offer tax incentives in addition to the federal tax credit. For information regarding the federal tax credit, visit irs.gov to learn more.
- Solar increases home value and decrease time on the market: Several well-known studies have been conducted to determine whether solar ownership increases the value of the home. In many of these studies, homes with solar systems are found to sell at values that are higher than other similar homes in the area. The Lawrence Berkley Institute, a research laboratory under the Department of Energy, released a study in 2015 that indicated that homes with solar sold for approximately $4 per watt of solar capacity higher than comparable homes. Also, in its research, Zillow has concluded that homes with solar sell for about 4% more than those without.
- Environmental impact of solar energy: Solar is one of the cleanest forms of energy. Its production yields no air or water pollution and no greenhouse gases. And it is the most abundant energy resources on the earth with 173,000 terawatts of solar energy hitting the earth’s surface on a continuous basis. That’s over 10,000 times the world’s total energy consumption!
- More affordable than you think: Solar has become the cheapest form of energy, with the cost having decreased substantially each year over the past decade. According to the International Renewable Energy Agency, the cost of energy from photovoltaic solar systems has decreased by 82% since 2010. Due to these cost decreases, a solar system is now more affordable than ever before and the payback period on that investment is at its lowest point ever as well. Essentially, if you can pay for your electric bill, you can afford to go solar.
Our Elevation team is prepared to help you. We take pride in providing the best solar education and transparency through our consultative process. We’ll create a plan unique to your lifestyle and home so you can power your life today!